Sunday, August 15, 2010

Salt

Salt

Writer - Kurt Wimmer (also wrote Ultraviolet and Equilibrium)
Director - Phillip Noyce
Starring - Angelina Jolie


This is a spy thriller, no bones about that. More Jason Bourne than James Bond. Though, I think I liked that.
Heh...I just realized that those two spys have the same initials.
Anyway...the fight scenes are mostly believable, and the camera shots are kept clean. The only use of the jittery camera is during one of the car chases.
I've heard people say that Jolie doesn't deliver, but I don't think she had much to work with. The dialogue is kept to a minimum and the opportunity to show her character as anything other than an action hero are short and few. I think that those she did have were used relatively well.

The other thing I liked about this movie is that it wasn't so far out of whack that everything came from left field, but also not so simple that I was guessing all of the plot twists long before they happened.
It engaged me, kept my mind playing, and let me figure things out just before they happened. That's a key feature to the thriller and is pulled off very well here.

So, final verdict...it's worth the price at the theatre. I put it at #2 for the year. If you enjoy a good spy movie with a healthy dose of action and plenty of plot twists...this is the movie for you.


-not a russian spy

No comments: