Sunday, November 21, 2010

things completed

I've been watching Victorian Farm on Youtube for the past few days. Good stuff. I had caught an episode on one of my visits to the boy, but didn't realize someone had been kind enough to post the whole series online.
The lovely Jenna at Cold Antler Farm mentioned it in one of her posts though and I had to check it out.
Between that and a new show on History...Apocolypse PA, it dawned on me that we don't make much ourselves anymore. I mean honestly...vegetables, meat, honey, butter, cheese. Heat, light...hell even many of our meals are prepared by others. Everyone is so specialized that if there were suddenly a crazy apocolypse and all modern machines ceased working, I'd be willing to bet that most 3rd world nations would be fine but 90% of the modern world would be shit out of luck.
Look, I get that in our current society, with the lives we lead, most of us just don't have time to make bread or butter or cheese. Hell...I love some Jarlsberg or smoked Gouda and I'm not gonna lie...I'm not nearly as talented as the people who do this for a living. Still, I know how, so I can provide for myself and my family and friends.
Also, we're all so busy...watching tv and generally being lazy bastards. If we spent just an hour less on the tv every night we'd have time for most of these projects. If nothing else...at least we'd know how.

As for yours truly, my soap is decent, but it needs more lather. I'll write the entry and show the pictures shortly. The rocket is ready to go with a nice new launch rod and I think we'll be doing that at the Woodlands' Football Stadium parking lot this next weekend. Actually, now that I think about it, Thanksgiving might be an appropriate time for launching rockets and whatnot. Hmm...
Anyway, I'll write something on that too sometime in the next few weeks.
Then there's the Cider that I started two days ago. Two one gallon carboys are currently bubbling away in my garage. I'll buy two more next week.
Oh, and I need to work on a new soap recipe because because I have plenty of bacon fat sitting in the fridge waiting to be used.
Projects galore.
Still, I'm looking forward to more. What would you kids like to see me make? Any suggestions?


-a force for good

2 comments:

Princess Pixybell said...

I could really comment here, but I will keep my dirty mind to myself....

I would like you to make some VEGAN cheese and I would like it to taste like cheese, not the cardboard crap that you can buy in the shops that is disgusting. Theres your challenge spanks xx

sublimenigma said...

oooh dag. I'll do some research and see what I can come up with. Sounds like a challenge.