Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Detroit Rock City

I spent the past weekend in Motor City.
The atmosphere there is definitely different from anything I know. Not in a bad way. Just different.
Though, I guess it's nice that I was even there long enough to realize that difference. Seems that so often travel is so short, or we are so secluded, that we don't get time to see those small things that set one place apart from another.

Anyway...yes...
Detroit.

There was a wedding. SweetD was a bridesmaid and I was asked to be her date. Our room was right next to the bride and groom. Honestly? I was not happy with that setup. Seemed a bit weird. But it worked out very well.
We arrived on thursday, headed to the hotel to change clothes, and then off to the rehearsal dinner. Pretty straightforward...this is where we began the drinking. The evening ended with your truly sharing a jacuzzi bathtub with four beautiful women. We were all drunk, and all fully clothed. It was pretty damned hilarious.
"I'm a beached whale!"
heh

Friday was the actual wedding. Girl got up early to drink mamosas and get all beautified and whatnot.
I went to The Henry Ford Museum instead. On the way, I stopped at Dearborn Itialian Bakery...good stuff. Not at all what I was expecting...because I was thinking more of a sit down type restaurant than a deli counter...but negating my preconceived notions...damned good food. Also, everyone in there was super nice and helpful. If you should ever be in the area I definitely recommend it.
The museum was great. I probably should have checked out the Greenfield Village instead of the inside section, but the skies were threatening to open up...and I didn't feel like walking in the rain. Still, I'd never been there, and even the meager 3 hours that I had available was totally worth the $15 admission.
Hopefully I'll get a chance to go back in spring.
The wedding was fun, the reception, better, and in general I had a fantastic weekend. Drank a few too many whiskey and cola's at the reception...but eh...maybe that's part of why I had so much fun. hehe

Saturday we flew back, managed to find time to hit Goose's Acre here in the Woodland's that afternoon, then to bed.
Fin'


-going to the concert

No comments: