Friday, June 03, 2011

on work and joy

Yesterday as I walked out of the building I passed a coworker on their way in to the office.
She was smiling.
This may seem like no big deal...a happy person...calm down Sub, it's okay if she's happy.
But what struck me is that she isn't the first, that this seems to be a theme. Certainly for those of us who moved over from the other joint, the current gig is so much easier and less stress.
We didn't used to be happy. One of my main focuses as a supervisor previously was to manage expectations and attitudes...to keep people as happy as I could in a stressful crazy overwhelming environment. It was so easy to lose that fight, to watch a scheduler sit with tears in their eyes angrily working as those drops rolled down red cheeks. To listen as expletives suddenly poored forth regarding a change in situation or the unprofessional manner of coworker.
Expletives were just part of life at that place.

Here...here it is quiet, professional, easy...and we get paid more to boot.

It's normal to pass people who are smiling...actually smiling on their way into work. I guess it's kind of like me with my past relationships. I mean, once you've had the worst, everything else is so simple.

Everyone should be happy on their way to work. At the very least, they should not have a frown...or be hanging their heads like a beaten dog on their way in the doors.
That's part of the reason that I'm pursuing the farm thing so fervently. Why it is such a huge part of my thoughts now. You see...I really can't imagine how happy and content I'll be when I finally wake up one morning and all I have to do for the day is take care of my animals, my garden, and do something creative with food or one of my mad scientist experiments. I might actually be too happy the day that happens.
I'll let you know how it goes.

In the meantime...free advice to my friends...
Work shouldn't beat you down and make you miserable. Granted...it may not bring you joy on a daily basis (though this should be the goal) but if you wake up dreading it...find something new. Life is too damned short to be unhappy and miserable 5 days a week.
Now...I have some research to do for that farm...and you should be hunting down your dreams too. Get on it!


-dream hunter

2 comments:

xx anastasia xx said...

Well as I am now officially unemployed due to redundancy I can say being unemployed sucks, sucks big time (and not nice sucking either) like big hairy donkey ball . Or even worse those boxer dogs when they grow old and grey and their balls hang so low they look extremely uncomfortable. Thats how I feel like big hairy dangly balls boxer dog balls. I'm definately not smiling.

xx anastasia xx said...

P.s Its pixy not anastasia, no wonder I'm unemployed I can't even remember my name.....